Think about your class schedule in the spring. Will you have blocks of time when you will not be in class and can intern? Can you spare one-two days a week to gain experience outside the classroom? If yes, here are some tips:
- Start early. Make an appointment to meet with your career advisor now and bring a copy of your resume to your appointment. If you have not created a college resume, go to the Career Center website for helpful tools and sample resumes to offer you guidance.
- Think about what skills you want to use: do you enjoy writing, doing research, interviewing people….
- What organizations are you eager to work with?
- Create a profile in AU CareerWeb (AUCW), the Career Center database of jobs and internships.
- Then, do an advanced search in AUCW of all job listings, internships, with Metro access, in DC, MD and VA and enter a keyword that you hope appears in the job description or the job title. Click Submit and see how many positions you find.